The Highline Community College Library has a Career Collection that is located on the west side of the 4th floor near the stairwell. The collection of books and media, though small, can be very helpful in your search for a career. The Career Collection is a source of materials that are geared to help you succeed, with titles like:
• Me 2.0 : 4 steps to building your future / Dan Schawbel.
• The 10 laws of career reinvention : essential survival skills for any economy / Pamela Mitchell.
• Career wisdom for college students : insights you won’t get in class, on the Internet, or from your parents / Peter Vogt; foreword by Doug Hardy.
• How to write powerful college student resumes & cover letters : easy tips, basic templates, sample formats, and real examples that get job interviews like magic / Quentin J. Schultze, Bethany Kim.
There is also a collection of career videos that are available in the Career Collection on the 4th floor and more career related titles on the fifth floor in periodicals, like:
• 10 steps to interviewing with confidence [videorecording] / produced by Jeanne Knight, JCTC.
• Commendable customer service [videorecording] / produced by Grayscale, LLC.
• Handling difficult people [videorecording] / Ash.Quarry Productions.
Another great source for career information is our Highline Community College web page. Once there click on the Library Tab on the right side of the page, then the Find It Tab near the top, from there you can choose to look at Subject and Course Guides, like #5 titled Career and Job Research; written and created by one of our Reference Librarians, Hara Brooks. Also under Find It, on the left side of the page is Subject Guides, this is a list of subjects that includes Career information. Click on it and you’ll find direct links to books, media, selected periodicals, databases, reference sources, web sites and campus links.
Our web site also holds a large collection of online videos. Choose from more than 5,500 educational titles in dozens of subject areas. To get there from the Library web page click on the eCollection which can be found on the left side of the page, then eVideo, then Films on Demand and finally enter Career on the search line. There are 575 titles to browse through like; Career S.E.L.F. Assessment: Finding a Career That Works for You, Business, Finance, and Government Administration, or one from the series Spotlight on Careers in; Education, Entrepreneurship. Food, Medicine and much, much more.
For help choosing a career path go to our Programs & Courses page. You can get help planning for college, investigating majors and careers, and identifying your skills and interests, so get started on your career path today.