January’s E-Resource of the Month: Academic Video Online (Alexander Street Press)
Academic Video Online (Alexander Street Press) contains more than 48,000 titles.
Academic Video Online (Alexander Street Press) covers all disciplines and subject areas, with specific strengths in:
· Counseling & Therapy
· Business & Economics
· Diversity Studies
· Documentary Film
· Feature Film
· Allied Health
· Music & Dance
· News & Current Events
· Theater & Drama
· Criminal Justice
· and more!
Learning and Search Tools
In addition to breadth and depth of content, Academic Video Online offers a wide range of platform tools for learning, research, and teaching, including:
· Learning segments. More than 14,000 learning segments make it easy for instructors to find and integrate specific video content into the classroom and help users get to the right content faster. Each segment is fully searchable and includes an abstract, making user selection even easier.
· Transcripts. Users view searchable, scrolling transcripts alongside more than 95% of titles.
· Clipping functionality. Users can easily create, annotate, and share video clips and playlists, and can embed them in third-party sites.
· Permanent URLs. All videos, clips, and playlists can be cited at permanent URLs, making integration with any learning management system easy.
· HD-quality player. A video player with a 16:9 aspect ratio that streams up to 2.5 mbps allows for optimized high-definition viewing.
· Comprehensive permissions. The platform enables in-class, on-campus, and remote viewing.
The videos can easily be embedded in Canvas, contact email@example.com for specifics on how to do this.
1. To access Academic Video Online go to the Library homepage http://library.highline.edu/, click on “Search databases” under Find Information.
2. Then on the Search Databases page click “Databases A to Z”, the second tab.
Please share this wonderful resource with your students and embed a streaming video(s) into Canvas.